This is a table of the chapters in Turn the Ship Around!…
This is a table of the chapters in Turn the Ship Around! and the mechanism highlighted in each chapter. Provided to aid people in finding the chapter where a specific mechanism was discussed.
- Think Anew about Leadership
- Business as Usual
- Change of Course
- Call to Action
- “Whatever they tell me to do!”
- “I relieve you!”
- Achieve Excellence, Don’t Just Avoid Errors
“Give control, create leaders.”
- Change, in a Word
- Find the Genetic Code for Control [Culture] and rewrite it.
- “Welcome aboard Santa Fe!”
- Act your way to new thinking.
- Under Way on Nuclear Power
- Short early conversations make efficient work.
- “I intend to . . .”
- Use “I intend to…” to turn passive followers into active leaders.
- Up Scope!
- Resist the urge to provide solutions.
- Who’s Responsible?
- Eliminate top-down monitoring systems.
- “A new ship”
- Think Out Loud (both superiors and subordinates)
- “We have a problem.”
- Embrace the inspectors.
- “Mistakes just happen!”
- Take Deliberate Action
- “We learn.”
- We Learn
- Under Way for San Diego
- Don’t Brief, Certify.
- All Present and Accounted For
- Continuously and consistently Repeat the Message.
- Final Preparations
- Specify Goals, not methods.
- Under Way for Deployment
- Build Trust and Take Care of Your People
- A Remembrance of War
- Use your legacy for inspiration
- Leadership at Every Level
- Use guiding principles for decision criteria.
- A Dangerous Passage
- Use immediate recognition to reinforce desired behaviors.
- Looking Ahead
- Begin with the End in Mind.
- Combat Effectiveness
- Encourage a Questioning Attitude Over Blind Obedience.
- A New Method of Resupplying